Thursday, August 8, 2013

Febrile Seizures. Scariest Night Ever. Carson's First Trip to the ER.


Baby feet - he was sound asleep in the ER while I laid with him and rubbed his back.

Our little guy gave me quite the scare the other night - I woke up with him next to me in bed seizing.  I knew he was very hot, but was skeptical of giving him more medication as I had administered Baby Tylenol earlier in the evening, so of course I put him next to me in bed.  He spiked a temperature (102.6 F - when EMT's checked it) and ended up having a febrile seizure (common in children under the age of 5 : 1 in 25 children have them occur, usually in males).

more here:  http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/febrile_seizures/detail_febrile_seizures.htm.

It really was the most terrifying night of my life...seeing my child unconscious and not knowing what to do could quite possibly be the most angst a mother can face.  To top it off Bill had gone to a Mariner's game that evening and ended up staying with friends.  I had my bestie, Lisa Clark stay over - thank God and she helped us throughout the entire episode (called paramedics, kept me calm, stayed with us in the ER until 6 am when Carson's fever finally broke) - there aren't enough "thank you's" during a time like that.  A few things I learned from this horrific night (which actually is quite common and everything turned out okay):

1.  Manage your baby's temperature with Baby Ibuprofen and Baby Tylenol.  Switch medicine every 4 hours until the fever subsides.  Use cool (room temp) cloths to cool your baby / toddler.

2.  NEVER, EVER give your child a dose of medicine or put anything in they're mouth while they are seizuring.  Lay them on a flat surface and soft surface (one that they can't roll off) - and let them have the seizure.  Do not put them in cold water - they can go into shock.  Once it subsides take them to the ER right away.

3.  I also learned that a mother's love is that of a Mama Bear.  There is not one thing I wouldn't do for my son.  I would walk to the ends of earth and back and would switch places in a heartbeat.  The love and compassion is never ending and all consuming.  

4.  There are going to be times that I won't know what to do or how to handle certain situations.  Being a parent can be scary.  I am continually learning to go with the flow while at the same time being better equipped for the next go round.

Always learning, always watching, always there.  It is a constant full-time gig, being a parent.  Sometimes you will get caught off-guard, but you can handle it.  I am stronger than I think - mantra.

Carson - we love you SOOO very much.  You are such a good boy and SOOO much fun.  I will post more about that in the next couple of days.  This summer has been such a blast!  You have traveled, seen family on both sides and learn new things daily.  22 months is such a fun age...I can't believe you are going to be 2!  I have already started planning your birthday celebration!  xoxo Mama

A rough night in the ER for Bubba Bear...hated seeing him like this, but he was such a great sport.   He was very interested in all of the machines at the hospital. 

Popsicles made him happy the next day.  We relaxed and watched cartoons...we were all exhausted! 



No comments:

Post a Comment